What an important chapter Mark 15 is! We need often to read it and the parallels. We need often to go to the cross. It will help us to be better people. Below we are placing an outline of the chapter which also gives the parallels from the other three accounts of the life of Christ (taken from NKJV headings)…
- Pilate Tries Jesus (Mark 15.1-14; Matthew 27.1-2; Matthew 27.11-23; Luke 23.1-5; Luke 23.13-23; John 18.28—19.15).
- Jesus is Beaten (Mark 15.15-23; Matthew 27.26-34; Luke 23.24-32; John 19.16-22).
- Jesus is Crucified (Mark 15.24-41; Matthew 27. 35-56; Luke 23.33-39; John 19.18; John 19.23-30).
- Jesus is Buried (Mark 15.42-47; Matthew 27.57-61; Luke 23.50-55; John 19.38-42).
I have pasted in my Bible a clipping from some bulletin somewhere. I have seen it many places over the years. I do not know who originated it. I first remember seeing it back in the early 1980s. It is designed as a HELP IN PROPERLY OBSERVING THE LORD’s SUPPER. It focuses on numbers related to the cross, thus it is related to the material recorded in Mark 15 and the parallel renderings listed above. I hope it may be of help in some way to focusing the mind in the proper direction to observe properly the simple memorial Jesus has included in the worship of the church.
THE LORD’S SUPPER…
- There is ONE Lord (John 14.6). Who is the Lord of YOUR life?
- There were TWO thieves (Luke 23.39-43). Which might you have been?
- There were THREE crosses. One thief a REBELLER (Luke 23.39). One thief a REPENTER (Luke 23.40). And there was Christ, the REDEEMER (1 Peter 1.18-19).
- There were FOUR parts of Jesus’ garment, and a prophecy (John 19.23-24).
- There were FIVE wounds (John 19.34). Remember the pain.
- There were SIX hours (our time) of crucifixion (Mark 15.25-37). Remember the suffering.
- There were SEVEN sayings on the cross…
- Luke 23.34… Forgiveness
- Luke 23.43… Salvation
- John 19.26-27… Compassion
- John 19.28… Suffering
- Matthew 27.46… Loneliness
- John 19.30… Victory
- Luke 23.46… Tremendous Trust